Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for UNDERPANTS - CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS

Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.


Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

I'm wearing my teacher hat today.



It's a bird - 
It's a plane -


It's the series of books that converts 
the most reluctant of readers

It's-


THANK YOU, 
Dave Pilkey

Yes, it's silly.
Yes, the kids snort laugh when they read it.

But - 

THEY READ.

It's a whole series so they KEEP READING.

It's such a rush when a child "clicks" with reading. It may start with Captain Underpants, but it will continue for a lifetime.

TAKE AWAY - 
To break down the barriers of reluctant readers, you have to hit just the right note. Don't dismiss silly.

What's your experience with a book or a series that finally pulled in a reluctant reader?

13 comments:

  1. Right now my students love Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I remember Captain Underpants was huge years ago. Maybe I need to reintroduce that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever gets kids to read is a good thing. People are knocking the Twilight Series lately, but that book got a country of teenagers, not to mention women, reading like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a math teacher in high school who was one of the earliest converts to Captain Underpants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What little boy wouldn't want to read that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids do love those books. My brother-in-law actually said I should create a book series for girls about farting and burping. He said there's a market for that. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I moved in with my husband he had the whole collection (that had been written up until that point) of Captain Underpants books. As Danica became old enough he read them to her at bedtime. Then she read them to herself. The two of them love them... but I've never read them LOL

    Dani has never been a reluctant reader so I can't credit Captain Underpants with helping there, but it did give she and Jo some common ground, which is never a bad thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I started with Dr. Seuss. I can't remember any more because I have been reading for over 30 years. I love books. I always recommend to my nieces and nephews as they have children to invest in Dr. Seuss and the Beranstain Bears books. They are classics for little kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care what it takes to engage a kid with a book, just do it. Captain Underpants is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wimpy Kid. My reluctant reader has read them at least nine times each (his count) and now reads with relish whatever he can get his hands on that smells of humor or adventure. Bless you, Jeff Kinney!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No better way to make kids to learn than to have them snort with laughter!

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids LOVE silly, so I'd never turn up my nose at it. If silly gets them learning and reading, then I love silly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't keep Wimpy Kid on by bookshelves. They are always checked out. Super Diaper Baby and Time Warp Trio are popular too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silliness is invaluable in younger children's books. I LOVE the idea of Capt. Underpants (but then I'm always amused by fart jokes, too! lol).

    ReplyDelete