Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for COMIC CON


Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.

Yep, I'm a pop culture fangirl.

Star Wars, The Avengers, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Agents of Shield, Once Upon a Time, Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, Girls, Dr. Who, Firefly - Really anything involving Joss Whedon...



I could go on, but you might run screaming from your computer.




Mecca for we pop culture fans is Comic Con. Every July in San Diego, California we come together to revel in fandom bliss.


There are panels, presentations, costumes, and a exhibition cavern that makes you feel like you've died and gone to fandom heaven. I really love that YA lit. panels are a part of the celebration every year. It makes me dance a jig that kid lit. has a niche at Comic Con.

Yes, at my house we had multiple laptops up and running to score tickets for "The Con" - just like the episode of BIG BANG THEORY. 



TAKE AWAY:
Fans rock. Geeking out to favorite stories and characters across mediums is a way of showing the love we feel for the chance authors give us to escape into other worlds, times, places, people. 




Now fess up - what makes you go fanboy or fangirl?

17 comments:

  1. Comic Cons are awesome aren't they. They always bring out the child in me :)

    I'm here from the A to Z challenge, feels good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi leslie....thank u so much stopping by at my blog....and for being follower no 100...that makes it all more special!!

    this was something new i learned about..so thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my ambitions is to attend the San Diego Comic Con.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went to my first Con last year. What a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you were a Pop Culture and Comic Con fangirl. See, I learn more every time I stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! I would totally love to go to Comic Con. Have to get the kids out of the house first. *sigh*

    You know what makes me go totally geek? Princess Bride, or cheese, or musical theater, or books, or supernatural-based TV shows. That's a pretty broad spectrum, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to Star Trek Next Gen when I lived in NY (2 of them), and to Stargate in London and Paris, I get fangirly when I see old eps of Doctor Who, with Jon Pertwee, I fan girl at the Superhero movies and can't wait to see the Scarlet Witch in action (I'm very vocal when they get it wrong) and I would so, so go fan girly if I ever got the moula up to go to comic con. Fantastic Post, so jealous of you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look like a very cool event. Sadly I'm many thousands of miles away. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I totally know what you mean. I pretty much get fangirl over everything :)

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's weird... I've never wanted to go to ComicCon, though I'm super stoked about so many tv shows / books / movies / comics / etc. that would be represented there. I think it's mainly because of my aversion to crowds though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can NOT relate to comic con! I know you know this about me :)

    What makes me geek out? Mr. Darcy. If there was a conference just for us types, that would be awesome. Or weird. Probably weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fangirl squeal for most of the items on your list, too :) Remove a couple here and there and add in Star Trek and a few others, and I'm a happy fangirl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Soumya - You are so right about the going back to kid time. Comic Con is the adult version of hiding under the covers reading comics with a flashlight.

    Hello Mooderino - Hmmm, maybe a goal for those frequent flyer miles.

    I always knew you were a kindred spirit, Sarah.

    The crowds are pretty intense, Rhonda. Sometimes I just grit my teeth and beeline for my destination. (Usually the Star Wars pavilion)

    Okay, Julie - you HAVE to read Austenland by Shannon Hale. The ultimate Darcy geek out.

    Oh,no, Lee - There goes my woman of mystery cloak.

    My pleasure, Little Princess.

    Yes, Tony - you have to get there.

    Congrats, David - you are now officially one of the cool kids.

    Crystal, it's inconceivable you haven't made it to the Con. Anybody want a peanut?

    Yay, Wicked Writer - a fellow Whovian.

    Liz, I'm more than happy to add Star Trek to the list. Especially now that Chris Pine is Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firefly, anything Tim Burton or Joss Whedon, my favorite books. All of those make me squeal like a little girl when I'm exposed to them. I'd love to make it to Comic Con one of these years. It's on my To Do list. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually rewatch Firefly every spring break. Have you seen J.W.'s MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING? Fab!

      Delete
  16. I would love to go to this event one day. I've never been.

    ReplyDelete