Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for ONCE UPON A TIME and ONCE


Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.

Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

I love fairy tales and their many incarnations and adaptations. I was raised on Disney movies, but I also love the original gritty Grimm's versions.

Yes, I'm hooked on the television show 


It fascinates me to see the mash up of fairy tale characters from Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, JM Barrie, L Frank Baum etc.. I'd move to -

in a sec.



I'm totally invested in the Lunar Chronicles, CINDER, SCARLETT, and CRESS by Marissa Meyer.









My favorite fairy tale riff of late is ONCE.
First it was a wonderful movie from Ireland written and directed by John Carney.


The guy musician is the "Cinderella" character and the girl is the "Fairy Godmother."

Then it went to Broadway and won the Tony.


I had the privilege to see the original cast.


Yep, it was magic.

TAKE AWAY: There's more than one way to skin a cat, or tell a fairy tale.

Do you have a favorite fairy tale retell?

16 comments:

  1. I'm on familiar with Cinder.

    I enjoyed Politically Correct Bedtime Stories years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful choice for O. I love fairy tales too. I was hooked to Once upon a time when the first season aired here,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a brain fart now, but my favorite is the Cinderella story with Drew Barrymore. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever After with Drew Barrymore!! I need to see "Once."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love retold fairy tales, and I agree with the other comments here, Ever After was one of my faves.

    I never did manage to get into Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to give Once Upon a Time another chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great O word today! I'd love to see Once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored the film version of Once. The soundtrack is breathtaking and the chemistry of the two main characters.... heart-wrenching. I hadn't thought of it as a bit of a fairy godmother sort of story. Interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, but I'd love to create one! I read a book by another author who writes for my imprint that was a takeoff on The Wizard of Oz in a distant way and I thought, "It would be fun to work a classic story into a middle grade novel." I just have to figure out the right story and the right twist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool you got to see the original cast!
    Once Upon a Time came out with a bunch of other shows and I didn't have time to watch it. Will catch up once it all hits NetFlix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fairy tales and retellings. I haven't seen the show Once Upon a Time- but I have been wanting to start it from season one. :) Once sounds like something I would love too. I must check it out. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  12. I occasionally watch movie or TV retellings; I've never read a book ye, but I think retellings are clever and creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Robin McKinley's Beauty, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Does my own work count? :D I haven't published it yet but I have my own retelling of Beauty and the Beast I'm working on editing now myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am such a OUaT fangirl :) it's so fun to see how they modernize and mash it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you much care for ...in Wonderland?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - glad to read another SCWBI members post!
    Nice to meet and connect through the AtoZ challenge.
    http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete