Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for SPRING AWAKENING

Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.
Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

I've oft heard LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott written in 1868, is credited as being the first YA lit. 

I have no quibble with that. 

For me, the piece of literature I encountered that deals most bluntly and honestly with the issues of adolescence is Frank Wedekind's play from 1891, SPRING AWAKENING.

The subtitle for the play is A CHILDREN'S TRAGEDY.  Wedekind's story criticizes the sexual repression of 19th century Germany. He brings to light just about every issue that causes teens to hit the proverbial wall of adolescence. 

Puberty, sexuality, rape, abuse, homosexuality, abortion, and suicide are all addressed in this powerful story. 

Ignorance is the enemy.

Cut to 2006.


Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater gave Wedekind's story new life in the rock musical version of SPRING AWAKENING. The musical takes place in dual worlds. The scenes take place in realistic period world using the language of the late 1800's with all its repressed sensibilities. 


Pictures from Pacific Conservatory for Performing Arts production - 2014

The songs however; take place in rock world with modern language and a score that seeps into your marrow.


Pictures from Pacific Conservatory for Performing Arts production - 2014

On Broadway SPRING AWAKENING won a long list of awards and launched the careers of Lea Michele, Jonathan Groff, and John Gallagher Jr.

Picture from Broadway Production - 2006

The duality of the worlds expresses the mirrored relevance of teen issues both then and now. The show has a strong following, with devotees calling themselves "The Guilty Ones," after one of the shows pivotal songs of the same name.

Lyrics to The Guilty Ones

Something started crazy
Sweet and unknown
Something you keep in a box on the street
Now it's longing for a home

And who can say what dreams are
Wake me in time to be lonely and sad
Who could say what we are
This is the season for dreaming

But now our bodies are the guilty ones
Who touch and color the hours
Night won't breathe, oh, how we
Fall in silence from the sky
Then whisper some silver reply

Pulses gone and racing
All fits and starts
Window by window you try and look into
This brave new you, that you are

And who can say what dreams are
Wake me in time to be out in the cold
And who can say what we are
This is the reason for dreaming

And now our bodies are the guilty ones
Our touch will fill every hour
Huge and dark, oh our hearts
Will murmur the blues from on high
Then whisper some silver reply

And now our bodies are the guilty ones
Our touch will color the hours
Night won't breathe, oh, how we
Fall in silence from the sky
Then whisper some silver reply

And now our bodies are the guilty ones
 

TAKE AWAY - YA issues are universal and timeless.

Have you seen SPRING AWAKENING? What piece of YA literature do you feel depicts the journey out of childhood in a way that sticks with you? 


15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really depressing musical, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not up to speed on my musicals. How did I miss this one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this musical. Have now. Will keep an eye out for it.

    I'm an Hinton fan and although her stories are about boys I really loved reading them. Not sure I ever found a book that stuck with me about a girl coming through that rough period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hadn't heard of this, but will keep an ear out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of that one. Interesting that they mixed past and present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this. I doubt it's going to make it to where I live (very conservative state with a bunch of prissy people governing what plays at our local theatre) but if it does I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so much about this play and about the musical, and I REALLY need to read/listen/see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really good. After I post this comment I'm going to check out the local library's website and see if I can't at least get a copy of the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...score that seeps into your marrow."
    Ah, what a delightful way to describe it. I'd love to hear this score...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen it. I thought you were actually talking about how it's Spring! I'll have to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everybody to stopping by the S-party.

    Tony - S.A. does have its depressing side. I like to think of it as gritty.

    Lee - Ah The Outsiders - love it.

    Okay - everybody who hasn't heard the score has homework.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - Spring Awakening sounds like a kick-butt play. I love the pictures. Plays take such chances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, lots of issues here. I'd love to see the play.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen Spring Awakening- but I like how the two time period mix. I would love to see it. YA books that stand out to me from growing up are The Outsiders, Catcher in the Rye and Judy Blume books. :) I will have to keep thinking!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete