Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Mr. TERRIFIC

Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.
Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

This is where it all began for me -

A lifelong devotion to being a pop culture nerd.


I was smitten with Stanley Beamish, the Everyman who became a really geeky superhero.


I even wrote a letter to Mattel suggesting they make an action figure of Mr. Terrific. 

I received a very polite letter explaining that a show with a run of 17 episodes didn't warrant merchandising.

I was crushed. My Ken doll had to role play.

TAKE AWAY - Amazing abs and mythic lineage are not mandatory for super heroes.

Who was your first super hero?

14 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this and you've made me curious about Mr. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny about your letter to them. Not seen this show either though I haven't watched too much TV for a long time so not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way I knew this show existed is from a book about superhero shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of Mr. Terrific! I love that you wrote a letter asking for an action figure to be made. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this. My first superhero was Superman. The one with Christopher Reeve. It was one of the first movies I can remember seeing on video cassette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to say Batman ... Because he's Batman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, yeah, they didn't have him around long enough to create an action hero out of him. I've never even heard of that particular hero before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is SO cool that you wrote a letter to Mattel when you were a kid. I wish I'd been that proactive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Terrific? Really? This the first time I've even heard of him. I guess I'd have say Superman was my first love when I was kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They didn't want to do a doll? How rude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I received a very polite letter explaining that a show with a run of 17 episodes didn't warrant merchandising." I know, this IS sad, but I also just really laughed out loud. I give you major props for writing to them, though, even if they just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Supercats (Misty comics), Batwoman (the original, yellow costumed one) and I think, Storm and Phoenix (X - Men). We didn't get many Marvel or DC comics in Shannon Town where I grew up, I got the DC one in Liverpool and a reprint (black and white) of X-men in shannon, as for Supercats, I don't remember much, just that I loved the comic and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry but I haven't heard of Mr. Terrific. It was nice of them to bother responding to your letter.

    Does the Bionic Woman count as a superhero? That was my first action figure. We also watched the Justice League and I had Spider Girl, Batwoman, and Wonder Woman Underoos.

    -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll admit that I've never heard of Mr. Terrific. Going to have to see if Netflix has it :) Hmm, my first superhero? Superman, ala Lois and Clark. Definitely a plus on the abs!

    ReplyDelete