Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for BROADWAY


Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.

I majored in Theatre Arts at UCLA. Even before that I had a dream...

...Broadway!



The ultimate Broadway dream is to perform on a Broadway stage. Still working on that one.

Last year, I fulfilled phase one of my Broadway dream - to see a show on Broadway.


In fact, I saw two - ONCE and EVITA. I was lucky enough to see Ricky Martin's last performance as Che in EVITA. There was a sweet farewell to him at the curtain call - what a treat to be present for that.

Every year as a kid, I watched the Lesley Anne Warren/Rodgers and Hammerstein version of CINDERELLA on TV. Guess what  -  the Rodgers and Hammerstein CINDERELLA is on Broadway! Updated - witty - wonderful.



I had front row center seats for it in January. Yes, I chatted up the conductor a wee bit. Such a rush.

I also saw Pippin and Kinky Boots this year.

My love affair with Broadway is stronger than ever.

TAKE AWAY: 
Never give up on your dreams even if it feels like they are taking FOREVER to come true. It took me forty years from the time I set the goal until I sat in a Broadway theatre waiting for the curtain to go up. I am still determined to stick to phase two - performing on a Broadway stage within the next 20 years.
  
Never give up - never surrender.

What's your big ticket creative dream?

17 comments:

  1. I have to admit that seeing a show on broadway would be amazing! That's definitely one of my dreams. Or, if that's impossible, why not shoot for the London theater. You know, aim big, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Broadway! I used to have that dream of performing on a Broadway stage, too, but I have to say that I didn't give up on it, so much as I found that it had shifted, and changed. BUT I still will always love Broadway, and will always love seeing shows there, and I'm so glad that part of your dream came true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to NYC a few times but have yet to see Broadway. It's amazing how many actors from the 80's I recognized on the billboards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to see something(s) on Broadway at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must hit a real Broadway show one of these days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My big ticket creative dream is to have a novel with one of the Big Six. Someday... someday.

    Good luck with yours, I can't wait to hear that you'll be appearing on Broadway :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd LOVE to see something on Broadway... would be magical! Or see a jazz legend at Carnegie Hall...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on completing the first stage of your dream, here's to the next stage. When visiting NY with my daughter many, many years ago I brought her to see Spamalot, it was fantastic. My dreams...Published Author, Sometime teacher of women in history maybe! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see a Broadway show on Broadway. Some of them make it to my hometown to our major theater. My biggest goal is to have all of my novels, novellas, and short stories published. I'll get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes our dreams turn out, just not the way we'd imagined. Better perhaps.

    I hardly recognized you behind your red scarf, but celebs have to be careful, so I understand the disguise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had that same dream once upon a time. Then I realized I like writing for stage more than parading in front of the crowd. Not that I have a tough time with crowds or being on stage. It's all the memorization. Ug. It makes my brain melt.

    Go for your dream! I can't wait to read the post where you get to say, "I did it!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I have a book to recommend: Drama by Raina Telgemeier. It's a graphic novel for the early teen set but I expect you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm SO glad you got to go to Broadway! I have a feeling you may see your son there some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. To be a published author.

    Looks like it was cold on Broadway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, S.P. - London theatre is DEFINITELY on my wish list.

    Hugs to you, Liz - fellow Broadway dreamer.

    Oh, Stina, Tony, David, Annikka, and Michelle - you HAVE to get yourself in a B-Way theater seat - it's magic.

    Rhonda, WW, Annikka, and Heather (BinB) - I raise my glass to your author/publishing dreams.

    You know, Jules, seeing Cam on the Broadway stage would be an even better dream.

    Hey Lee - thanks for the giggle.

    Hello A.S. - thanks for the rec. I'm all over graphic novels.

    Hello Crystal - Do you know they actually have apps now to help you memorize lines? In my day we had to read the whole thing into a cassette tape recorder.



    ReplyDelete
  16. I had that dream too once upon a shiny star, but my dreams changed. When I was in high school, my show choir went to NY and I had the opportunity to see Les Miserables on Broadway. It was an experience I'll never forget, but my real dream is to see Phantom on Broadway. Still waiting for that one to come true!

    Never give up on your dream! :) Can't wait to hear if it comes true!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog--I'm following you now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les Mis is one of my all time faves. I'd die a thousand death of happiness to see it on Broadway. Thanks for the follow, Kristin.

      Delete