Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for JUKEBOX MUSICALS


Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.

Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

Want to have a hand-clapping, toe-tapping blast in the theatre? 

Head for the nearest Jukebox Musical. 

These are shows that take the music of a single artist or artists and invent a storyline based on a group of songs.

My three faves are:

Playing in Vegas, Broadway, and various tours.



Touring - Coming to Los Angeles - Pantages Theatre in May


Broadway, touring, soon BACK to Vegas
and of course THE MOVIE!

I've seen both Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys on stage. 
SO-MUCH-FUN!

I'm aiming to see American Idiot when it hits LA.

Here are some other Jukebox Musicals:
We Will Rock You (Queen), Rock of Ages (Metal bands from the 1980s), Movin' Out (Billy Joel)

TAKE AWAY: A song tells a story. A string of songs makes a musical!

Have you seen a Jukebox Musical on stage? 
Do you have a fave?


11 comments:

  1. I have to admit I've never seen one of these, though they sound like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as movies go, definitely Across the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know there was a name for such a musical. Well, we need more of them, stat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen American Idiot, but the others were so much fun. It was hard to sit still in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I've heard of, though never seen, is Mamma Mia. I love the idea of stringing songs together to make a musical. I'll have to see these if/when they make it to where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that was the name for them! Would The Who's Tommy qualify as the first Jukebox Musical? Probably not, since the play wasn't written around the hits of the group, right? With a Jukebox Musical, the music came first and the play is built around it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know those kinds of shows had a name. You learn something every day, eh? Of the ones you mentioned I've only seen Mamma Mia, and even then just the movie. I liked it well enough, but not as much as my daughter did LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not on stage, but I looooove the movies. Mamma Mia is one of Blake's favorites. He knows all the words to each song. Even sings them in karaoke! I'm the same way with GREASE. It's impossible for me to watch that movie without singing along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo I love mamma Mia AND american idiot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to go to the theater more. I seldom see a show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen one, but I always like the idea. It's fun finding songs that fit the novels I'm working on, too!

    ReplyDelete