Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Friday, April 18, 2014

P is for PETER PAN


Welcome to Yes, This Will Be On the Test.
Waving to visitors, new followers, and fellow A to Z participants. I’m sending virtual hugs to you all for taking a moment to stop by.

I’ll be sharing my “take-aways.” All those snigglets, golden nuggets, and lessons learned from other creative sources.

Scroll down this link to find other wonderful A to Z participants.

Favorite story of all time - PETER PAN.

My first intro was the Disney movie and I was smitten. I would wait by my window for Peter to take me to Neverland.

I have stayed faithful to Peter over the years.

I read the book very early on and was scandalized that Tinkerbell used the word "ass."






I memorized every song from the Mary Martin version of the musical.






I played "Tootles'" one of the Lost Boys, in a production of Peter Pan. Yes, I shot the Wendy bird, rocking
 a bow and arrow years before Katniss. 
(That's me on the right.)
Okay, you can stop laughing now.


Over the years, I've sought the Peter Pan story in every way, shape, and form.

This was a lovely musical bunraku puppet version (where you see the puppeteers dressed in black with hoods manipulating the puppets) with a gorgeous original score of Irish music.




If you haven't gotten into the Peter and the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, you are really missing out. (Jim Dale reads the audiobooks - worth every minute.)




Going on even as we speak, there's a stage version of Peter and the Starcatchers called Peter and the Starcatcher that is a blast and a half.


I can't get enough of the boy who never grew up.

I'm still waiting by the window.

TAKE AWAY: When a story is beloved, it becomes part of your life.

Is there a story that has followed you through the years?


15 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of this classic character and story either. So magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not my favorite story, but I loved when Robin Williams played Peter Pan in Hook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a devotee of Peter Pan. And was also shocked to discover Tink's real personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, glad I wasn't the only one bamboozled by gauzy wings and pixie dust.

      Delete
  4. I think you look cute in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have recognized you with those ears! I loved Peter Pan, too. It was always a book to escape into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry I've been MIA! For some reason, the posts I subscribe to haven't been delivered to my mailbox. Which means I have to actually think about which blogs to visit. Scary thing.

    I love the picture of you in costume!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always loved the Beauty and the Beast story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter Pan was never my favorite. It was about staying a child forever, and I wanted to be free of my childhood as fast as possible. Beauty and the Beast, however, stuck with me long before Disney's movie came out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my first intro to Peter Pan was through the Disney movie, as well. I wasn't a fan of how he was portrayed in "Once Upon A Time", though.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see there are so many other Pan devotees.

    Mark - I soooo agree with you. I did not like Pan being so yicky.

    Annikka - I think Peter Pan always symbolized a better childhood to me. I'm all about the escapism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always loved this story, too... And that picture of you is adorable!! I'm with mark, though - I did not like the Pan on OUaT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still have a soft spot for the Narnia books, even though I'm not sure about the message of them anymore.

    I always thought Peter Pan was stupid without really giving it a chance. When I was 6 my school put on the stage play and I didn't even try out. Then I saw it and saw how cool it was. Too bad, because I never got cast in a play at that school, and Peter Pan was a great opportunity since there are so many characters on stage.

    ReplyDelete