Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Designing a Character: Using Line




With the craziness of summer travel engulfing me, I have decided to rerun my series of blogs Designing a Character. Hopefully this is new to most of you. 

Line is one of the essential elements of design.  The type of line used in a drawing or composition creates a psychological impact on the viewer.  Imagine the theoretical spine of your character as a certain type of line.  How does that impact their personality and actions?

Vertical lines, especially substantial mechanically drawn ones, convey strength.  In nature, we relate the vertical line to trees or buildings that define a city’s skyline.  The horizontal line cannot help but be associated with the horizon, where sky meets sea, i.e. peace, tranquility.  The diagonal line needs support to keep it from toppling, but is oh so exciting to slide down.
            
Let’s not forget our friends the curved lines.  The half-circle, not so thrilling, but the spiral conjures the power of a tornado.  The meandering curved line takes us on an easy but not always purposeful journey, like the course of a river.
            
What kind of lines do your characters represent?  

I am a huge Harry Potter fan.  I’ve always seen Harry as an active spiral, sometimes loose, but having the potential to pull in tightly at any moment.  Harry can also be a straight line that rapidly changes direction such as the readings on a seismograph.  Hermione is definitely a vertical, and Ron, meandering.
            
Time to share.  What kind of lines do you see in some of your favorite characters?

13 comments:

  1. I'll have to think about this. I've never thought of characters as lines before. Great concept, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you help us think in this artful way. I think of my characters as the lines of the Dow Jones. Up, down, but hopefully more up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so original! Thinking of characters as lines! Like Stina, I think I'd have to think more about this--but I loved to know your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I loved this the first time and even more now. Especially the way you relate it to HP as examples. HP on the brain, you know? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stina, Julie, Monica, and Lisa - It's definitely my theatre design background that frames my visual thoughts about character. Hope it gives y'all a different filter to look through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of characters like this. Visually and abstractly. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee, gosh, oh shucks, Lydia, thanks for using the "b" word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting post! I had to think about this one.

    I think I tend to like "horizontal" characters and stories - people on a journey, and they grow on this journey. I tend to like those stories more than "vertical" more thrilling stories.
    A horizontal character is pensive, develops, and has perseverance.

    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this! What a great way to look at the characters. I think the MC in my current wip starts off diagonal, but works towards ending vertical! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee and Jemi - I get a kick out of looking at character subtext in design context. Glad it gave you some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the interaction of art and writing! I had never seen this comparison made though...very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat analogy! I hadn't thought about it that way before. Off to apply it to my characters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan - It's fun to cross artistic platforms.

    Caryn - Thanks. I hope you enjoy using the concept.

    ReplyDelete