Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for The X Files

Twenty-Six Days of Creative Inspiration

If you've been following my A to Z posts, you probably saw this one coming a mile away.


Yes, The X Files motivated me with a capital M.

 Great Characters - Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are a true dynamic duo. Her analytic personality is a perfect contrast to his ever-questioning tendencies and suspended disbelief in most things alien or supernatural. The ongoing joust of sexual tension between the two always kept the partnership interesting.


Alien Mythology Arc - The show was unique in that most given episodes stood on their own, but embedded in the entire series was the alien mythology/shadow conspiracy story. The underlying threat from a consortium of humans who were bargaining with an alien race for colonization of the Earth was a major draw for me. Trying to string together clues and identify dropped breadcrumbs of the mythology arc was a blast.


Unfortunately the show hit a dull thud for me when David Duchovny left. I never warmed up to the new kids on the block. The first X-Files movie, Fight the Future, hit the X dead on for me. I ate it up. The second movie, I Want to Believe...um...well...nevermind.

My Mulder and Scully action figures will always have a place of honor on my desk.

Were you hooked by The X-Files? Did you prefer the alien mythology arc or the supernatural episodes best?


Here is a list of the alien mythology episodes.

Click on the Blogging From A to Z Challenge logo in the sidebar to access the links to all the superheroes participating in this blog hop.

20 comments:

  1. I loved it when it first came out but I lost interest for it somewhere along the line. I guess it just felt redundant. But for me Duchovny made the show. Loved him. Remember that song about him?? So funny. I never did see the movie. Need to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The X-Files will perpetually be something I will really get into at a future date. Love the mythology, and am intrigued that so many people thought it eventually lost the point. Wasn't it always about unresolveable conspiracies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will not be surprised by this, but I never watched the show! But I did love David Duchovny in Return to Me. Not quite the same, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to watch these again. It's been so long, I've forgotten so much. This was definitely my favorite "pair" TV show though. Mulder and Scully were a tense treat every time. I wasn't even aware that they tried to keep the show going after Duchovny - I can imagine what a flop that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught an episode or two of X Files when it was on television, but not many. Jo, on the other hand, loved the series when it was on. So when we got Netflix we started working our way through it... unfortunately I could never really get into it. It began to drive me crazy how they'd manipulate things so Scully wouldn't see the proof aliens existed, and how she could remain skeptical after all the stuff she did see.

    Maybe I'll give it another shot... maybe.

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love the X-files, but I also totally loved the tension between Scully and Mulder. It was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that they were a great duo! And yeah not the same without David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've opened up more to science fiction, but I didn't watch it back then. I feel like I was ostracized from a club. Self-ostracized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please don't chuck anything at me, but I was never an X-Files fan

    *ducks quickly*

    I'm sorry. I just couldn't get into them. As much as I adore science fiction, I'm not sure where the disconnect was but I'm sure it was somewhere on my side. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make time and watch The X-Files on TV. It was our prime time TV. But when Moulder left, I left!

    Riya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love X-files and I like both story lines... Since I've found Super Naturals & Sanctuary. But I miss Mulder.
    Kate
    http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I loved that show too! And I agree on the last movie. Um, don't know what happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen the x-files. Of course there are lots of great shows out there I know I'd like, I just can't it all in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my all-time favorite shows :) Sooo much fun. I really didn't like to new people, either, and the second movie was horrible. But, the fun, kind of campy shows around strange creatures? Loved them! Plus it was full of such fun dry humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite campy monster was the one that rose out of the sludge when people broke their homeowner's association rules. That episode was filmed out by my house. Thank goodness I don't have any CC&R's in my neighborhood.

      Delete
  15. I watched a few episodes back in the day... loved David D!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so in love with Fox Mulder. I recently tried to get my kids to watch the show on Netflix. They thought it was corny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, the X-Files got me too. Scully & Mulder pioneered new ground, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED the X-Files and completely agree with you. I loved trying to figure out what was happening and I like the chemistry between Scully and Mulder. I preferes the alien mythology arc episodes. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete