Yes, This Will Be On the Test

Writing, Reading, Laughing

Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Fawlty Towers


I'm a massive fan of BBC comedies. I am always drawn in by the crisp wit of the Brits. It all started back in high school when I discovered Monty Python. Ah, "the twits" and "confuse a cat" always make me snicker.

John Cleese, from Monty Python, created a comedy series about the owner of a small hotel who Cleese called, "the most marvellously rude man I've ever met."

Basil Fawlty is constantly in trouble from his lack of character, yet we root for him anyway. 
 

The ensemble cast of farcical characters bring hilarity to everyday situations. Guileless Manuel, who is forgiven all his faux paus because he's from Barcelona, is my favorite.

Once you discover "Fawlty Towers," you'll never look at health codes or a Waldorf salad the same way again.

Take the plunge and plan a vacay at Fawlty Towers.

14 comments:

  1. LOVE this show! They have collections of it at the library, and I do believe you've inspired me to go check one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it not I've never watched that.

    Always loved Monty Python, too. And Little Britain cracked me up.

    We need more funny shows. Like truly hilarious shows. So rare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this show. It was part of a block of British shows on PBS in Chicago growing up that included this, The Goodies, The Two Ronnies and Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of BBC and I like Fawlty Towers, but I prefer English m-u-r-d-e-r mysteries (!), detective series, & such. Have you seen any of the series, "New Tricks?" Great cast of characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this before, but will definitely check it out now! thanks for the tip!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this show, especially as a lot of it is physical comedy too - but for me, the all-time greatest british comedy HAS to be Only Fools and Horses. That show hasnt been on for years, but I still quote it weekly. Mange tout, mange tout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of Fawlty Towers, but I'll certainly have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Monty Python- but have never heard of Fawlty Towers. I think it is something that will make me laugh- so I cannot wait to check it out. Thanks!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Fawlty Towers! Do you think I've been raised on a different planet than you? Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this show! And I love some BBC and brit humor. I have GOT to check this one out. :)

    Hope things are well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this the one where it was based on a real man and his widow tried to sue Cleese? Sounds good; he is a funny man, and I love British humor shows!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me I need a medicinal dose of Monty Python; it's been years. I'll add Fawlty Towers to that dosage as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the theme you have chosen for this challenge! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw some episodes ages ago. I think I was too young to understand the humor. I didn't get British humor until I was a teenager. I'd love to watch this again with my older eyes.

    ReplyDelete