HAPPY LEAP DAY. I think I'm supposed to ask Gerard Butler to marry me.
Huge hugs and thanks to Ruth from the Out on a Limb blog for giving me the Kreativ Blogger award AND to C. Lee McKenzie at The Write Game for catching me in a game of tag.
I'm going with a hybrid of the rules of these two honors. I answered Lee's 11 questions below, but I'm kind of cheating and re-tagging the same people she tagged. I enjoyed visiting their blogs and I want you to go say hi to them as well. In a duplicitous move, I'm also passing on the Kreativ Blogger Award to the aforementioned tagees.
My rule breaking may cause the ruination the entire Internet that was expected back at Y2K. For that, I apologize.
Tag Q & A:
1. What's the best part of reading a book you love?
I love the "point of no return," where you can't put the book down until you finish it.
2. What book(s) have stayed in your head?
LORD OF THE RINGS and PETER PAN because I want to live in either Neverland or Middle Earth.
3. If you could write one book only, what would the main character be like?
Super smart teen girl who is obsessed with astronomy and is freakishly gifted at fencing.
4. What book(s) do you love to read to your kids?
I teach 5th grade, so I love books with characters that challenge my students to look at the world or people with a filter they haven't used before. We're about to read FIGHTING GROUND by Avi, which chronicles a middle grade aged boy who joins up to fight in the revolutionary war.
5. Do you ever read books aloud to others?
I read LORD OF THE RINGS aloud to my own children before they saw the movies. I do a spectacular Gimli. It took a whole year. Currently I'm reading the amazing story, MILO, STICKY NOTES AND BRAIN FREEZE by Alan Silberberg to my class.
6. Do you like discussing books with others?
There's nothing better than having a verbal love fest with people who felt the same way you did about a book. My work colleagues and I just savored MAJOR PETTIGREW'S LAST STAND by Helen Simonson.
7. If you hate a book, do you keep reading anyway or put it away?
I can't stand abandoning a book. I've only done it once. No, I won't tell you the title because I still intend to go back and finish it. Someday.
8. What kind of books do you like best? Sci-fi, Realistic, Historical Fiction, Biography, other.
Sci-fi. Sci-fi. Sci-fi.
9. Are you transitioning into the digital age with a Kindle or a Nook or a I-Pad? Or are you sticking with those hard copies? Do you mix it up?
I mix it up. I'm always working on a Kindle book, a hard copy, and an audiobook.
10. How much do covers influence your buying a book?
I have a design background so covers are a HUGE draw for me, especially ones with a lot of complexity and a kickin' color palette.
11. Any new books you'd recommend?
I'm having a love affair with LOLA, AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins, A MILLION SUNS by Beth Revis, and WONDERSTRUCK by Brian Selznick.
Tagees - Say hi for me when you go a visitin':
Official rules of the tag:
1. Never talk about fight club, oh wait...
Real #1. Post the rules
2. Answer the questions and then create 11 new questions to ask the people you've tagged. (I'll let Lee's questions stand for the double tagged blogs above.)
3. Tag 11 people and link to them.
4. Let them know you've tagged them.
Official rules of the Kreativ Blogger Award:
1. Tell ten things about yourself
2. Pass it on to six others