No one is happier to see all the Star Wars love happening right now than I. I've been a fangirl of a galaxy far far away since 1977 when A NEW HOPE
(back in the day, we just called it STAR WARS)
burst into the collective consciousness. I saw the film 21 times in the theater, every time flying my theater seat with red squadron to attack the Death Star.
Here are the top ten reasons this story entered my blood stream:
10. Vehicles: Who doesn’t want a land speeder or an X-Wing?
9. Hyperspace Travel: After commuting in L.A. traffic my whole life…
8. Countless worlds to explore: Itinerary – Hoth…Forest Moon of Endor – I’ll skip Tatooine, not a desert person.
7. Terrifying Villains: Vader (daddy issues-check), Emperor, Wampa Ice Monster, giant worm that digests you for 1,000 years...
6. Merchandise: I’m not going to lie, I’ve spent significant funds since 1977 on memorabilia. Come on! Everyone needs a pewter Star Wars chess set.
5. Complicated love story: Han and Leia
4. C3P0 and R2D2: I’ll take one of each please.
3. Lightsabers: Mine is blue.
2. Enigmatic mentors extraordinaire: Love Yoda, do I. Obi Wan is always good in a pinch.
1. Luke Skywalker – Luke Skywalker - Luke Skywalker:
When the first movie of the saga released, I was leaving home to go to college. Identifying with Luke’s foray into the real world resonated with me. We came of age together, fighting the dark side and emerging with a renewed sense of self.
From this humble Jedi to all my brethren -
May the Force Be With You.